Monday, February 18, 2008

Happy President's Day

In honor of this arbitrary holiday, I have decided (since I have nothing good to say about our current president), that I will educate everyone on our 24th U.S. President, William McKinley (because I like the number 24).

William McKinley
"War should never be entered upon until every agency of peace has failed; peace is preferable to war in almost every contingency."

Erin & Heidi, where are you? Wikipedia says that Grover Cleveland was the 22nd and 24th President. Who is right? Who knew there as such confusion about the 24th President? You have to admit that Grover Cleveland has a much more exciting name (and fashionable portrait)! Too bad he didn't really bellieve in women's rights or I would like him a little better.

Grover Cleveland
"Officeholders are the agents of the people, not their masters."


2 comments:

Erin said...

Grover Cleveland was the 22 and 24th president. He lost the presidency to Benjamin Harrison, but was re-elected four years later. He is the only president to serve two non-consecutive terms.

Corinne said...

But another site I went to said that William McKinley was the 24th...do you think they just meant he was the 24th person to serve as president? I really think I should retake high school U.S. History.